Director of Engineering and Generation Assets
The Massachusetts Municipal Wholesale Electric Company (MMWEC) brings a competitive edge to Massachusetts municipal utilities dedicated to providing their customers with low-cost and reliable electricity. We plan, develop and manage energy resources in an evolving marketplace that requires high levels of innovation and expertise.
We are currently seeking a Director of Engineering and Generation Assets who is ready to oversee MMWEC’s diverse portfolio of generation assets and the management of the engineering department. This individual would be responsible for the management of all MMWEC owned generation assets in accordance with the appropriate Power Sales Agreements and other generation assets in compliance with applicable Operation and Maintenance (O&M) contracts. In addition, operate and maintain the other generation assets such as electrical transmission facilities, gas pipeline facilities, oil pipeline facilities, etc. In this complex position, the individual would provide the company with general technical services related to the power industry and possess strong technical skills and the ability to make executive decisions.
- Manage the Stony Brook Energy Center power plant asset – budgeting, administration of the collective bargaining agreement, final approval for all plant modifications, submission of environmental and project participant/joint owner reports on a quarterly basis.
- Manage the development and construction of new assets – oversee all bidding and contracts, insure adherence to all applicable regulatory requirements, develop periodic progress and budget reports to project participants and other stakeholders.
- Oversee Seabrook (nuclear), Millstone III (nuclear) and other joint-owned projects.
- Support Berkshire Wind Board of Directors and wind turbine O&M.
- Provide technical services to the company in such areas as engineering studies, potential power resource review, fuel studies, emerging technologies, etc.
- Assist the CEO with strategic planning and membership relations.
- Supervise staff of about 40 individuals and at times 50 to 250 contract employees.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technical Discipline preferred
- 15 or more years of job related experience
- Must be an expert in engineering principles and plant design, construction, and operating activities
- Experience in management principles and personnel administration, budget principles and the electric utility, ISO rules and membership needs
- Experience in dealing with budgeting. Operating budget responsibility approximately $40,000,000
- Special licenses/certifications: Professional Engineers’ License preferred; advanced degree preferred
- This position operates in a professional office environment and power plant. Travel required to meetings when necessary
MMWEC offers a competitive salary and benefits package including robust medical and dental benefits with low employee cost, a savings retirement plan with a 6% company contribution and up to an additional 3% company match, earned vacation time, sick time, and 11 paid holidays. Our company prides itself in creating an environment that challenges employees to be passionate, energetic, proactive, and progressive.
Massachusetts Municipal Wholesale Electric Company (MMWEC) eagerly accepts applications for employment from all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, GINA, marital status, gender identity, age, ancestry, veteran status, mental or physical disability, and political belief or affiliation.